Monday, March 18, 2013

The Steubenville Controversy

This past week I've been waiting for blogger inspiration and then came this Steubenville debacle. I know it's being talked about a lot but people need to keep talking about it until the media stops victimizing the boys who did it.

I'm sickened by the fact that a vast amount of news-casters are sympathizing with Trent Mays (17) and Ma'lik Richmond (16) because “their futures are ruined.” I honestly could not careless about the fact that both of those boys are star athletes. I'm sorry, but just because you can throw a ball around really well does not mean you're exempt from being a decent human being.

The more I read about the case the more disgusted I am by the society I live in. This isn't one of those cases where a girl slept with a star athlete then regretted it and decided to cry rape. This is a case with hard-core evidence in the forms of texts, videos, and pictures showing an extremely intoxicated girl being raped and humiliated. The fact that as a country we are so divided by this is mind boggling.

Many people are saying it was her fault because she was drunk. So to all the people out there who think that, please correct me if I'm wrong, but that means the next time you're shit-faced your orifices are free game for whoever happens to want to put their fingers and/or dicks inside of you, right? Exactly.

A lot of news-casters are also harping on the fact that these young men had such bright futures. Yet, everyone seems to ignore the fact that if these guys are already raping girls at 16 and 17 they were probably going to continue to do so. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but something tells me their futures were going to be a little dimmer than people thought. Honestly, if I were the judge on that case I would have tried them as adults and they would have gotten a minimum of more than 1 and 2 years. If they make adults decisions such as drinking and doing drugs then why not try them as adults?

And while so many people lament the altered future of the boys what about the girl? Her future is different now too. I am not a victim of sexual assault but I know people who are and it's one of those things that stays with someone forever. Not only was this girl assaulted but she was humiliated on the Internet, judged by people who don't even know her and has received death threats by 2 teenage females. It doesn't matter if she has fucked every guy in school or not or if she was drunk or not at the end of the day her body was violated. Her body might be fine but her mind is going to need time to heal. I can't imagine how ostracized she must feel after putting away the town stars.

Which brings me to my point: since when do we live in a society where 1. this even happens and 2. it's attempted to be covered up by people of varying ages? When I party I like to do it with people I know and trust simply so I know regardless of how messed up we all might be we can distinguish right and wrong when it comes to the really important stuff. All those kids at that party show a complete lack of morals because they let Mays and Richmond do what they to that girl. But then when you find out that parents and coaches tried to cover up what happened in that party it's no wonder, kids learn everything from the adults surrounding them.

I think it would do us all a lot of good if we start teaching kids that quality of character is more important than one's skill on the court, field, or rink. This isn't the first time that someone gets raped by an athlete and controversy ensues. The media needs to stop making fallen angels out of people who clearly have issues. Not everything is black or white, right or wrong but invading some body's body has always been on the wrong side and it needs to stay that way.

I'd like to leave my readers with one last thought. If this is the way more and more people are thinking:

Where exactly is humanity heading?

No comments:

Post a Comment